Ironman

Ironman

Monday, December 12, 2016

I think too much

Since my last race in November, I have had a little bit of a lull in my training schedule. A 4 day trip to Canada, Thanksgiving and a few other things have popped up and my training has suffered. Without a race on the horizon I started to do the one thing that gets me in trouble.

 I think.

I think about why I am doing all this, I think about the disappointment of not being able to run IMWI this year. I think about way too much stuff and then I get down on myself. Then when I get really bummed out I end up spending time organizing eggs in the refrigerator, and coffee cups in the cupboard but that is a whole other story.

I think, why am I doing all this and will I ever be good at it? Will I ever complete IMWI or any other IM race for that matter? I get upset when my swim times aren't what I hope for or my 10k times are not under 60 minutes. I think and then I think some more and that is not good.

Yesterday I watched the Ironman Championships from Kona on NBC. I watched an 83 year old man who did not finish last year cross the finish line. I watched a father and son team work so hard to finish only to come up short and I watched a women from Australia who was badly burned complete her recovery by finishing the race. It was just the shot in the arm that I needed to get my head on straight. I thought about why, in 2014, I got started on this path and why no matter the result I will continue on my quest to hear those 6 words; "John Massie you are an Ironman"

Tonight I made it back in the pool for the first time in a long time, it wasn't pretty and it was painful but 2017 is just around the corner, and if I want to accomplish my goals it's time to step it up.


No comments: